The 44 acre site, located two miles east of Carver along County Scenic Road Highway 224, is zoned as timber and has been owned by Clackamas County since 1937. It is surrounded by other equally pristine large blocks of privately-held historical farm and timber land that form valuable contiguous linkages of wildlife habitat. Until it was closed to public access by the County in 1997 as an ill-conceived quarry plan was pursued, the Madrone Wall was for decades a favorite area for low-impact outdoor recreation. A well-maintained trail system provides for hiking, wildlife and wildflower viewing, rock climbing, and picnicking at a site easily accessible to one-half of the state’s population.